Pages

Saturday 31 August 2013

McCall's 6069 Jersey Dress - 3rd time around

First thanks to all for your comments on my previous post, the navy faux wrap dress - just to address a few queries;

- the pattern is from an old issue of Burda Style magazine, May 2007, it might be possible to get a copy on ebay or it might even be somewhere on the Burda Style website, but how you search for it is a mystery to me.  There are a couple of similar patterns available that are worth checking out;
Simplicity 1653
Simplicity 2369

- Speaking of the mysterious Burda Style organisation, Perfect Nose provided a link to the French site which has a better picture.  Goodness knows why even the archive magazine content on each site is so different;
France from 09/2006
Germany from 08/2009
Russia from 01/2004 
and English language version still nothing since they deleted it all a few years ago
Argh, don't get me started!

- thank you to Sewing Sveta who confirmed that wrap and odour are indeed written the same in Russian, proving that computers aren't ready to replace human translators yet (though I have no doubt there are more sophisticated translation programmes out there than the free google one).

========================================================================
Moving on to another dress........

With the obvious exception of the Aussies and Kiwis everyone seems to be moving to autumn sewing, but I am still firmly stuck in summer and very behind with this blog.  I will get some photos of me wearing this and a few other makes soon - I am going on holiday soon to Italy and will get some on location photos I promise!

I recently wore my maxi version of McCall's 6069, a very easy and popular pattern from a few years back and was reminded what a great summer dress it is, so I whipped up another one from this stripy rainbow printed jersey.  Unfortunately the pattern is no longer available on the Mccall's website.



When I say whipped up, I really do mean it - the pattern envelope states this is a 1 hour dress in terms of sewing time and I probably wasn't far off that.





For this version I copied an idea that I pinched from previous reviewers and used the plain square necked front of view C as the back, instead of having a cowl front and back.  It worked perfectly and, surprisingly to me given that it has no shaping whatsoever I can even wear the dress backwards though I doubt I will.




The only problem with the square neckline is that is is faced and despite understitching and topstitching it still kept creeping out, so I just trimmed it off close to the row of topstitching.  I would normally bind edges in a knit but I wasn't confident handling those square corners.


I can't believe I have never thought to make the long sleeve version of this so maybe if summer ever ends there will be a version 4.

11 comments:

  1. Great print! It's perfect for this dress. I'm still sewing for summer too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it with the stripes, very pretty and flattering.
    Its still summer, make what you want to wear now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! And I am still with you on sewing for summer - I am not ready to deal with all of the details and structure for fall... not when it is still so hot outside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love your latest version of this dress. That is a great fabric choice for the pattern, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that pattern and any dress that can be made in less than two hours is a great pattern. I love your choice of fabric and when there is a chill in the air you can just throw on a shawl or sweater and still be in style!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i see so many great versions of this dress!

    I tried it as my second garment ever, and it was a big flop :( definitely down to my sewing skills rather than the pattern, but your version has inspired me to try again!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a similar cowl neck pattern that can be made into a top, a tunic or a maxi dress. I just love these inconspicous patterns that end up our favourite ones to be used over and over again

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that fabric. I wish I could sew so well. My sewing skills are more hodge podge. My mum has a few old school vintage patterns lying around so I will be giving those a go.

    xoxo
    misswednesdaysgirl.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great combination of fabric and pattern! It's also nice to have the option to wear a dress backward, even if you're pretty sure you never will. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a much loved version of this dress. But I wish I'd made the flat back version as I have no option but to wear with a jacket or cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute dress and a wonderful fabric.

    ReplyDelete