Pages

Thursday 15 August 2013

Burda Style 05/2007 - 126 Navy "Wrap" Dress

These days I love making things from my old copies of Burda, the tracing seems so easy compared to recent issues.  However it is really hard to find online pictures of the pattern, this was a tiny image on the Burda Russia site (funnily enough again it is a dress with an "odour", it must be a mistranslation from wrap or faux wrap - any Russian speakers out there please enlighten us).



This is a dress from 05/2007 - 126, a simple v neck dress with a half front overlay that ties to a short tie inserted in the opposite side seam.  The original dress is georgette with a knit lining so I figured it would work in a knit and made it in a navy jersey.

As such, I could eliminate the centre back seam, zipper and darts in the back.  I also eliminated the front bust darts just by easing the excess into the side seams and raised the v neckline, by a bit too much if I'm honest, but I'm more comfortable with that than too low.  Next time I will be a bit less conservative!  I totally forgot about making a corresponding adjustment to the overlay (until literally just now, writing this!) so mine don't line up like the pattern picture, but I think that's OK.




When I cut the pattern out I added extra length at the hem and decided after trying it on to leave it quite long, just for a change in my wardrobe really, there are lots of longer length skirts around now and I'm getting used to the look again.  From the scraps I had left I made an elasticated waist half slip to wear under it as the fabric is quite thin, fine for tops weight, but a bit flimsy for the bottom half I think.

Overall this is a super comfy, versatile dress that doesn't look like all the other jersey dresses in my wardrobe!  It really is like wearing a tshirt, I can just throw it on and forget about it.

As usual I found it really hard taking decent photos of dark dresses, but here you go....




 Something you don't see often on this blog - me in flat shoes!


 It can also work with heels and a bit of jewellery & a clutch bag (which you will have to imagine) for a dressier look.






32 comments:

  1. Cute! I love it. Simple but versatile - the best kind of dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very nice and it really elongates your body!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute!! it's the kind of pattern that can easily be re-used to make several of them to wear as leisure wear, sleep wear,... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, simple but definitely not plain. I love the older Burda issues too, unfortunately I started buying them from 8/2007 onwards so I don't have this gem

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice dress. I love the older issues as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks just as current now. I like the "mistake" with the overlay. Makes it more of a feature. Great colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful, wonderful dress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this as well as the length! I have this issue so will definitely try this in a knit using your suggested changes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how it turned out, it fits you perfectly and looks comfortable! *^v^*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! Your dress looks great. I think your changes made it look that much better

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the wrap dress, definitely something that will be lasting and very comfortable. What site did you find this pattern on? Would love to get a copy of this dress, just what I am looking for - comfortable but classy look!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a great style dress on you and I like the overlay better not lined up. I think that if it were it would shift when wearing and look more like a mistake. Here is looks purposefully done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yours looks better than the original and I like how the front looks on yours. Good on you for jerseying it up! BTW here's the pic and associated line diagram on French burda.

    ReplyDelete
  14. really lovely! very flattering

    ReplyDelete
  15. VERY cute dress. I admire how productive you are, and it is nice to see a dress made up from a past magazine. There have been so many nice styles over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It does look really comfy but easily dressed up :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. gorgeous!!! I love the navy color and I find that the old Burdas are much easier to deal with than the newer ones.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Couldn't agree more about tracing old Burdas compared with the new cost/paper saving scrimped versions. Love your new dress - very simple, very elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing..
    A wonderful dress.

    Herbal

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing..
    A wonderful dress.

    Herbal

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hm, I am russian reader, but which site you cal russian burda? I checked burdasyle.ru, this one? In russian wrap is written the same as odour, but with diferrent accent, so I think this was mistake of your translatore%)

    For old magazines you can also see this - http://osinka.ru/Zhurnaly/

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a great classic dress, Allison. Very flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gosh I didn't notice the overlay being lower than the neckline when I skimmed through the pictures first. it works ya know! And what a versatile dress for sure - would look wonderful dressed up and looks fab with flats to knock about.

    Great colour and shape on you too. Perfeck.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I made this in 2007 and still wear my dress. I love it! Your version looks fab as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful and very flattering dress. The pattern is a nice variation on the classy wrap dress.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have the height to pull off that longer hemline--it just makes you look taller! Jealous. Great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This dress is beautiful on you, I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is lovely on you! You look great in flats or heels!

    ReplyDelete