Pages

Thursday 7 March 2013

BurdaStyle 02/2006 - 114 Denim Skirt

I decided my wardrobe was missing a denim skirt, specifically a denim pencil skirt.  I feel that denim needs topstitching and therefore seams so I dug around through previously made patterns till I found this one from 2006.  it has a few variations none of which exactly match mine - this is the closest, I just left off the front pockets.



My denim has a bit of stretch to it and the topstitching is a silver-grey rayon thread just because I happened to have it on hand and it stood out well against the denim, I hope it will be strong enough.  



Other than switching threads on my sewing machine this is like most pencil skirts, a simple sew.



I finished the inside of the waistband and also the pocket linings with a printed cotton fabric to reduce bulk in those areas.



I think the fabric will benefit from a few more washes to soften it up a bit, it's a bit stiff and prone to wrinkling at the moment.  Nevertheless I think this is really going to fill a hole in my wardrobe, I can just pull out this neutral skirt and pretty much any top and be ready to go.

Look, real pockets, albeit rather useless ones.


The top in these pictures (not that you can see it) is the popular gathered raglan sleeve t shirt from 02/2013 more to come on that next.

30 comments:

  1. I'm normally a bit agnostic when it comes to denim skirts but your latest is very stylish. The top stitching...perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderfully stylish skirt! It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love that skirt. The lines are so simple. This one is really a keeper! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the grey topstitching. Great skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun denim skirt, you make the best clothes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely - I know I have this mag somewhere ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll wonder how you ever lived without it. I made a denim pencil skirt a couple of years ago and it still gets heavy rotation and just gets better with age. This is beautiful...as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been thinking of making a denim skirt too...such a great wardrobe stretcher. I love your version. THe topstitching is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your new skirt! The topstitching is fantastic! You'll enjoy this skirt for many, many years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! Burda use to be so great about making patterns that were complex and fitted. Now those seem to be few and far between. I hope they go back to it someday. This pattern is really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this a lot. Good pattern choice

    ReplyDelete
  12. very cute skirt, I like the lines and of course the pockets

    ReplyDelete
  13. very nice, I like the cut, and I like the grey topstitching in preference to the usual orange/yellows.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks very lovely! Beautiful top stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally love your skirt. It's been on my to-do list for 7 years :) Your topstiching is beautiful. I noticed your didn't include the CF seam, and it does look better that way. Really love the way you finished the inside, and especially the Asian fabrics used there. It's going to be a hard-working part of your wardrobe, good on you! This is Katharine, not Bruno...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! The fit and style are perfect for you. And the top stitching is fantastic! Hope you enjoy wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous skirt and I love all of the top stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice. I made this skirt when that issue first came out -- you can't go wrong with classic Burda!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fun skirt! I love the thread choice for the topstitching -- makes it really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely skirt. Make sure you keep that pattern to hand because you are sure to want another!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love a good denim skirt. I would wear them all the time if I had any good ones. I need to follow your lead and sew one (or a few) up. You look great in a pencil skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The skirt suits and fit for the shape of your body. Your not only a good designer but also a good dresser.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super cute skirt. Reminds me that I need one too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. as always, your level of precision and attention to detail is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great casual look! Gray was a lovely choice for topstitching. My recent denim dress wrinkles like crazy. I hope it eventually softens up as well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this skirt it fits perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete