Pages

Thursday 2 August 2012

Vogue 1303 Kay Unger dress

I made this simple Kay Unger dress recently and I have to say I am totally uninspired by it and I'm not sure why.  I like the fabric and I like the pattern, but the combination together is just very...blah.  If it wasn't for the hot pink lining I might even have dozed off while making it.  I'm thinking (hoping) it's just wrong for the summer and I'll like it better in the cooler weather with boots and a jacket.  Anyway a reminder of the pattern.....
I used a grey jacquard rose printed fabric and as I started working with it I knew I had to make a few changes as it became very soft and stretched like mad on the bias.  That middle pleated section is cut on the bias with a straight of grain stay underneath it - I had to cut off a lot of excess to get the bias piece to fit the stay.  At this point I hurriedly added fusible stay tape to the neckline and armscyes and decided not to make the little v in the front neckline.  I also had to take it in quite a bit at the side seams, but that may have been due to my growing fabric rather than an inconsistency with usual Vogue sizing.

This is the inside front on it's side, you can see the darker printed fabric at the bottom of the photo that I had to trim off the bias pleated front part - a good 3 inches!

I did like that this pattern has no facings, it's just lined to the edges.  I decided to add little cap sleeves, but if you make it sleeveless do make sure you ignore the instructions and instead keep the side and back seam open until after the lining is attached at the neck and armholes.  It's a much cleaner and easier finish, if you're not familiar with this method (like the Big 4 instruction writers apparently!) see Slapdash Sewist's excellent tutorial here.

Hot pink silk lining - aka dressmaking caffeine in this case


Here is the finished dress, it really doesn't help the boring-ness factor that you can hardly even see the only detail on the dress!















OK the post is over, you can wake up now!  Much more exciting is that I am due to go to a wedding in the UK in less than 2 weeks and I decided today that I did want to make a new dress for it after all, lets see how that crazy idea pans out.



39 comments:

  1. Grey is definitely one of my least favorite colors, it bores me silly, but I think this dress look great on you.

    All you need to do is add some pops of color. Maybe in the shoes, scarf, necklace and such.

    You fitted it nicely, the shape is very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's boring - rather, it's classic and chic! Toss on a fun, bright necklace or scarf and now you're talkin'!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I absolutely love it! The pattern is great and it looks fantastic on your figure. Great job!! Yes, the pink is brilliant. I have to disagree with you - LOVE IT!!!!

    P.S. I love grey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great looking dress. Honestly Allison, everything you make is outstanding. Your are an inspiration. Thanks,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grey is one of my favorite colors, so I'm a bit biased, but I love this dress! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your dress is very nice. I would love wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dress is TOTALLY FABULOUS!!! If you don't want it I will take it. :) I think the fabric and pattern goes together very well. The pink lining is perfect. You always make beautiful garments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vas guapisima!!. El vestido chulisimo.
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  9. No sleeping here! It's a beautiful dress, and I love it on you! Very flattering and not one bit boring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not boring in the least. Understated and elegant...definitely. And constructed impeccably, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's not what we think at all; it's your reaction to the color and to the lining. The dress is beautifully fitted and current, but if what makes you happy is the lining, then accessorize with hot pink, fushia, royal purple--whatever makes your heart sing. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a beautiful dress, and great fit on you, not boring at all. You can jazz it up with pop of colors. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful dress! I think you are right, it may just be the wrong time of year for black and grey. You may fall in love with it come October.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a lovely dress on you, but yes I can see it with boots and a jacket. Maybe a leather jacket to give it some edge. I also see it with shoes in a pop of color to give it a bit more oomph for now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great on you! Maybe this is an excuse to go buy some hot pink heels? =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It fits you beautifully and the fabric is lovely. But I can see how it is not exactly for summer. I'd save it for winter too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it looks great as well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This so elegant! You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You know the fit on you is fabulous! I'm sure that when you get close to you, you can see the bias band. And I really like this fabric and dress on you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your new dress, it didn't cause me to doze off at my computer ;) It fits great and I like the cap sleeves, I've gone off sleeveless just recently. I think maybe you'll learn to love it in winter, I would style it with some colourful tights and my favourite boots underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it! It's a classic with a surprise on the inside. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. The fit is perfect, Allison and it looks really nice on you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think it's great! I especially love the bit of hot pink lining peeking out of your hands-on-hips pose. Maybe you just need a pop of color to wake it up a little. It's the perfect backdrop for some killer accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was so enthusiastic about this pattern, so surprised by your reservations about the construction. Love the print and the fit, as usual is perfect. Not sure why you are less than thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think that this is truly stunning on you. I know I sometimes get so frustrated during a project, like you were with this fabric, that I fall out of love and can't really see the end result. This is really pretty, and with bright red shoes would make quite an impact.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks pretty-the waist detail emphasises the narrowness of the waist, I like it. If you're not that excited by it-perhaps dye it? Like a dark burgundy? The two shades in the pattern will react differently and might end up with quite a cool effect =D

    ReplyDelete
  27. The fit is great on you and it does work.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the pink lining. Maybe it just needs some time in the magic closet and then you'll see it differently.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love that fabric! And the pink is fantastic. Like others have said, just some need some pink accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What great fabric. The gray is very 50s looking and great for a sheath. The pink is fantastic... any plans to wear it inside out? :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your dress is beautiful and you look terrific in it! I'm sure you'll be wearing it a lot come fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think that you just need to put it away. I detect a note of desperation when you were dealing with growing fabric I wonder if this has coloured you view of it . It has a "Mad Men " aesthetic in that fabric which actually looks great on you . Just relax and discover it again in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think this dress is absolutely lovely! The pink is really amazing -- a bit of pink on the outside might jazz it up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  34. IMO this is a beautiful and well-fitting dress. Maybe you need some time and it will grow on you.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think the dress is stunning! My favourite pic of you is the one where you stand at an angle - far right photo on my screen. It makes the skirt look tapered and I really like the silhouette of the dress with the tapered skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This kind of reminds me of the latest Erdem dresses, it was a palette of white/black with pops of colour - I have been chasing some similar fabric since. Love the dress, a great basic to dress up!

    ReplyDelete
  37. The dress is gorgeous. I think the print is hiding all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  38. It's not boring at all! It's a beautiful, well-fitted dress.

    ReplyDelete