Pages

Monday 11 June 2012

BurdaStyle 05/2010 - 105

I've been missing for a while because we had a visitor staying from the UK which meant I lost my sewing room for a while.  The good news is that this forced me to give it a much needed tiday up so hopefully I can be a bit more focussed, at least till I mess it up again - I have 2 dresses to show you, first up is a remake from Burda Style May 2010, always good to go with something easy to get the mojo started again.

I first made this dress from a really lousy quality navy blue knit in my stash as I was a bit unsure of the style at the time.  Since then I have worn the dress a lot and vowed to make another one in better quality fabric someday.  I had just enough black knit left to make a brainless pull it on dress for those days when I just can't think what to wear.


On this one I extended the shoulder seam out and also added a binding to the neckline.  I have to admit this was not planned, I attached a folded strip of fabric to the wrong side of the dress and rather than unpick it I wrapped it over to the front and topstitched it in place.   It came out much better than anticipated and gives the dress a more relaxed, sporty feel.



It really doesn't look very appealing on the dressform or hanger, but is so easy to wear, a great summer workhorse.


Here I am wearing it on a night out in Stanley, I realise photos of a black dress at night are pretty useless - we tried to get there in daylight, but missed it!




9 comments:

  1. You are right, it looks so much better on you than the dress form! Perfect easy summer dress, too! Your neck-binding looks so neat and professional. Mine is always a bit of mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos, even if I can't see the dress very well. I can imagine it being a very useful pull on dress. Looks chic in black.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great Allison!
    There are some benefits of invaders if you have to tidy the workroom - did you find anything unexpected in the clean up? (I usually do!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me encanta tu vestido Allison. Tienes muy buen gusto a la hora de confeccionar tus prendas. Soy seguidora tuya.
    Sonia Fonseca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I quite like how you've extended the shoulders for little cap sleeves. Uncomplicated clothing is seriously the best for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems as though half the sewing blogosphere is sewing something that is in my to-make pile. Maybe I should spend the next couple of days tracing because I keep seeing so many nice versions of things I want to make.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty dress, fabulous on and I am sure you will get lots of wear from it. Great job again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, this is one of those dresses that looks better on you than the dress form! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made this dress and love it! Very comfy.

    ReplyDelete