Pages

Thursday 29 July 2010

Vogue 1159 Donna Karan dress

See my last post for the pattern photo and insane pattern pieces for this draped jersey dress.

As Nancy commented, one huge problem with this pattern is that it is impossible to work out how to alter the pattern pieces. Even now that I have made it I still cannot figure it out. Usually I cut a mixture of size 12 (shoulders, waist) and 14 (bust, hips) on my Vogue patterns and on this one I just cut a 14 and hoped for the best. Miraculously it worked out, so if your usual bust and hip size are about the same pattern size then I suggest using that size.





Sewing wise this is not a difficult pattern, but if you have ever had any problem with any kind of twist top or assembling flat pack furniture, stay away from this pattern for your own sanity! You have to just faithfully follow the instructions - or at least the illustrations and make sure your pile of fabric looks exactly like each diagram before moving on.

I had to make one alteration at the end. As many reviewers have noted this is very low cut under the arms and I didn't want to have to wear a cami underneath. I did try sewing the side seam higher but this messed up the front drape so I just applied two little triangles of fabric to fill in the gap and handstitched them in.

This patch works better on me than on the dressform for covering underwear

See, although not planning on standing like this too often.

It's a pretty rubbishy alteration but it works and no one is really going to notice it I hope. When I wear it in real life I will also have to put a safety in in the front wrap for security otherwise there is a very real chance of a wardrobe malfunction.

I absolutely loved making this and was amazed when it turned out to look like the original at the end, and even more amazed that it fitted. I love how the waist draping looks and I also like that there is a straight skirt knit lining underneath which keeps it all in place. I still can't really understand how the pattern pieces become a dress, Donna Karan is some kind of genius.

Close up of the waist draping - this shows the true colour too.

50 comments:

  1. omg I love it! I wasn't enthralled by the pattern envelope, but this is a total knockout on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous. I love this dress and it looks marvelous on you! Wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is gorgeous indeed and I love the color on you, fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  4. You, look like a million dollars!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I L-O-V-E this dress. You look fantastic in it. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dress is gorgeous. Such a professional look. The style really suits you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful -- the draping in the front looks lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your little underarm modification. If I ever get around to making this dress again, I will do that too! You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Draping is stunning! Worth the headache.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's incredibly fabulous! Makes you look like a sylph or is it sylphlike? At any rate it is absolutely flattering on you and I think that your underarm fix is perfect. No one but your faithful readers will ever know it was not part of the original. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look like a million bucks! This dress is super flattering and sophisticated, and you've made me want to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That dress deserves a standing ovation! It looks beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yours looks a lot better than theirs. Now I want this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! Looks fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't give the pattern a second look, but this makes me stand up and notice. Hubba Hubba, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just stunning on you! That is one fabulous dress.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness, it's beautiful! I can't get over how gorgeous it is!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, you look fabulous in this dress, perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just divine! So beautiful made up and just so flattering on you. I am sure you will receive many compliments wearing this out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! you look gorgeous. the draping looks lovely!

    Rose in Sv

    ReplyDelete
  21. Allison!! I love everything you make, but this dress really takes the cake. You are STUNNING!! Good grief lady - hurry and make a fancy dinner reservation or something so you have somewhere to go out and flaunt this dress!

    Seriously beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your dress is beautiful! Great fit! I would love to try it, but I'm afraid!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness.. it's stunning! You look fantastic in it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bravo! Bravo! The dress is beautiful and fits like a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous creation yet again!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's beautiful! I'm so glad you mentioned not being able to figure out how ot alter the pattern pieces - I felt the same way! I've had mine cut out since about two weeks after this pattern was released - guess I better get busy and actually sew the darn thing. We sew using the same size so now I have a good idea how it will look me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Absolutely stunning and Thanks for the underarm triangle.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, this is an amazing beautiful, jaw-dropping dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You look phenomenal!!! This dress was made for you!!! I hope you consider making this number again!!!

    ~Victoria
    tenthousandsewinghours.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Clearly, this is the dress for you! So flattering. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a smashing dress. It looks gorgeous on you.

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Simply stunning! A beautiful dress in its own right, but on you it is fantastic! Great fix for the underarm issue, too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow the dress is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, you look so shapely in the dress. Suits you so well. Like the fix too.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love this dress, the drape and colour are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Seriously, I've got to make this dress just to see if it makes me look as good as you! And I'm no fan of knit dresses :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. wHAT A STUNNING DRESS, YOU LOOK ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS

    ReplyDelete
  38. Stunning dress! You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This dress pattern was made for you. So flattering, a wonderful marriage of fabric and pattern

    Christiana
    sewamusing.blogspot.ocm

    ReplyDelete
  40. Despite all the problems yuo had putting this together, the final result was well-worth the effort. This is such a beautiful dress. And you look great in it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Amazing, glamorous, gorgeous. All the usual superlatives for a very classy dress. Worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  42. MARVELLOUS!!! All the hard work was well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh wow - that is amazing. I have that pattern, but I had not realized it was that drapey until seeing your pictures. It is gorgeous. Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh I love it! I have the pattern but thought it looked like it might not work for me. Is there much give in the hips? I will have to work out which size to make...

    ReplyDelete
  45. Очень хорошо вам в этом платье, просто прелесть, и драпировки!!! Поздравляю!

    ReplyDelete
  46. You look so beautiful and elegant in this :) Good job!

    ReplyDelete