Pages

Monday 6 July 2009

BWOF 06/2009 - 122 Top

I'm working on (or at least planning on working on) a few pieces from the June issue that might even coordinate so I will take pictures of me in the outfits when they're all done.  

In the meantime here is the completed tunic blouse 122, first the technical drawing (incidentally I had to pull up the German version of the site to get this issue from the archives and there I noticed that the German archives go all the way back to 2004, rather than 2006 as on the English site).

I made this in the cream and brown printed linen I bought recently, the busy print makes it hard to see all the details, but it is just like the line drawing.  I think this makes a very flattering casual summer top with the wide shoulders and drawstring waist, just as Toy promised!  The only change I made was to use snaps instead of hidden buttons and only up to where I needed them as I doubt I would wear this top buttoned up to the neck (or snapped up I should say).  Easy enough to add more later if I prove myself wrong!



The only part of the instructions that might be a little vague is finishing the unusual sleeve detail at the inside corner.  Basically the sleeves are just doubled bands which are attached first and then the raw edge under the armscye is finished with a strip of bias fabric.  To get a clean finish there you need to make sure that you only sew the bias up to your sleeve band stitching.  You see, it is hard to explain to be fair to Burda so I took some photos which hopefully illustrate what we are both talking about!

From the outside of the garment after sewing the sleeve and bias strip, but before turning strip to the inside, sleeve on the bottom, bias strip at the top - note that the two meet but do not overlap.

The same thing from inside the garment, except here the bias strip is at the bottom of the photo, the edge of the strip is folded in and held in place by the armscye seam finishing which can be done in one step.

The bias strip is then turned to the inside and stitched in place, leaving a neat corner with no raw edges or wrinkles.

31 comments:

  1. Nice summery blouse and nice fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute top! I love the print fabric for this style. Thank you for the tip about the armscye finishing --- it will be helpful when I make mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I never really looked twice at this pattern but really like it after seeing yours! Thanks for the close ups of the sleeve construction. They are really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute top! And I love the idea of sewing coordinates! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice top! i like it i want to sew.
    where did you get it? from burda?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great top. Love the black/white print. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great top - the fabric is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely top ! ...and thanks for showing the sleeve finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice top!
    Thanks for the tuto on the sleeve finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's really cute! I didn't even notice this one in the magazine, and now I want.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wanted to make this pattern, but wasn't sure how it would fit on me, your dressform has my shape, and the fabric I wanted to use is a similar kind of print. So I think I will make this tunic. Thanks for the close up pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great top. Every time I think I don't need the next issue of BWOF I see something coming up to change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this print is TDF
    doesn't make you waist look smaller?
    everyone told me that when I wore it

    ReplyDelete
  15. It does trim in your dressform's waist! Your version is much better than Burda's. Like Trena it said nothing to me on the page but it's turned out stunning in your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that fabric - it a super flattering style, too. It is amazing how different these garments look from the magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That pattern caught my eye! It looks great in the fabric which you chose. And I love your new sewing space. Nice to be by windows!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That top is gorgeous!

    I love your blog.

    Come and see what's new at my blog at www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    You can also check my 8 year old daughter's sewing blog at www.sewingsister.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another great top by AllisonC! I'd like one just like it, please.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Alison, this is lovely! Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment, and thank you for the great advice on what to do with the yellow skirt. I will probably do something similar to what you suggest. I hope you'll come again soon.

    Regards,

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sooooo, I might have a chance to drop by Hong Kong. If you don't mind emailing me at t r e n a [dot] b at g m a i l I can give you more details and find out if our schedules will align!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't think I even noticed this one in that Burda issue. I'm going to have to give it a try now! What a great summer top!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautifully done. Cute top.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What an outstanding job! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your version better than the magazine! Thanks for your comments on my blog. I love yours. You do such beautiful work. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is very cute. I agree, better than the mag!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You gave me reason to go back and think about making this, I totally skipped over it in the magazine! Nice job!!!

    ReplyDelete