Pages

Monday 24 November 2008

The Pucci Dress Saga

Thank you all for your supportive posts regarding my Pucci print dress - I feel much better now, but trust me the dress did look terrible on me, maybe if I were a foot taller or 30lbs lighter it would be OK. I think you are all right that someone with a small bust would be fine in it. Lindsay T summed it up quite well in her hilarious comment;

"Your dressform looks like Mrs. Doubtfire. Tee hee hee."

So what is the best thing to do after a wadder when your confidence has taken a big knock?  Make something easy? No of course not - I decided to make another Pucci print dress - this time as a surprise for a friends birthday. I know, certifiable aren't I? 

I decided to make the jersey dress from BWOF 02/2008 - 103. 
I love this pattern although I don't know if it would work on me, my friend though is very petite and I am really pleased with how it came out. I was really careful cutting it out to make sure one of the large yellow dots didn't end up in the wrong place!

 This was quite an easy pattern to put together once I had figured out with the paper pattern pieces how the twist part needed to be assembled. The BWOF instructions were quite good except for the first part which read "between the asterisks..." Well there are no asterisks which was exceedingly annoying!


The finished dress

Top detail

Skirt detail (I have no idea how the pattern matched so well - a happy accident!

Twist detail

I also turned my dress into a skirt. I just reshaped the back skirt panel to make it a little less full and used one of the front wraps as the skirt front. I added some elastic at the waistband and a narrow hem and voila - one expensive, simple, comfortable elastic waist skirt. Mrs Doubtfire would be proud. Emilio Pucci, not so much!


15 comments:

  1. Nice save on the skirt and I ADORE your new knit dress. I thought I was ambivalent about that pattern, but it's pretty good looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good save on the skirt...and of course the front matched on your dress...it's those superior layout skills of yours! I really like both pieces - alot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree... excellent save on the skirt! Love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Mrs. Doubtfire with this new dress! Very sexy dress; well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't find the asterisks on that pattern... The dress is gorgeous, and I like your Pucci skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that dress! The skirt was a great save.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the dress for your friend. The skirt is cute as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky friend! The dress turned out lovely. The skirt is great too (particularly if you don't think about what it could have been..sigh). Love the prints on both garments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this dress. Makes me wish I had bought that magazine. Nice save on the skirt as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do know I don't think YOU look like Mrs. Doubtfire, right? Quite the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The new dress looks Fabulous and you look terrific in the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AWESOME dress - cool skirt - great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your dress is jaw-droppingly-gorgeous. And good save on the skirt! I have taken mental notes, thank you for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  14. AAh that dress is awesome! I just found this doing a Google search for the instructions to that pattern-I've got the German version of the mag and Google translate can't handle sewing terms XS Do you still have the magazine you made this from?

    ReplyDelete